Elias had his appointment this past Friday at Johns Hopkins. The Doctor we met with was not surprised by the behaviors Elias has been displaying. He is growing well which rules out most problems related to any GI issues. Which basically points us to two likely reasons for Elias's discomfort. One being reflux and the other being just plain old colic. If reflux were the issue we would likely see more consistent spells, like after every feeding for example. The randomness of the episodes is more characteristic of colic. We did make some medicine changes though to optimize what he is taking. Basically, we have a high needs baby who likes to scream his head off. Against popular opinion, or at least what I thought, colic doesn't have to happen at the same time everyday and can be associated with screaming as if the baby is in pain though there is nothing medically wrong.
So I'm learning a lesson...things are not always as they seem. Braxton Hicks can be just as intense and close together as real contractions (if you don't know, I had Braxton Hicks for about 15hrs that were just as painful as real contractions). And a baby seemingly in pain can be perfectly healthy. I'm relieved that there is nothing 'wrong' with Elias! But I never thought my baby would be one of' 'those' babies. Or that if I did have one of those babies that I would know what to do. We have some good friends who are expecting their first baby and they often ask advice or questions about baby gear and how to handle a baby. I always say to them that I believe God gave us a high needs baby because he knew we could handle it. He never gives us more that we can handle. In the fist chapter of James it says "You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows it's true colors". God knows that these difficult months will be over soon and that if we turn to Him and lean on each other we will stand stronger when we get to the other side. It's been taxing on us emotionally, physically, and relationally. One day Elias will be full of personality, curious, and lively. Our job as his parents is to train and guide him to be filled with the personality, curiosity, and life of our Creator. Our precious baby boy's name means 'speaker for God'. All the work that I imagine God having for him is nothing compared to the work God has in store for him. His dreams for Elias are so much more that I can imagine and I'm so thankful that God is allowing me and Adam to be a part of that dream.
So please pray for Adam and I as we continue our journey as parents. I think we have our work cut out for us...
I'm just making sure you can comment now... and I'm pretty sure you can. Super Duper.
ReplyDelete-Adam